Mercedes-Benz Van Experience

Calor is to bring BioLPG to the European market this summer.

This renewable fuel is chemically identical to regular liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) and can be used by any operators’ vehicles without the need for modifications or additives.

Calor said it offers between 15%-32% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions – depending on the proportion of waste materials in the BioLPG – without reducing performance (based on a 40% BioLPG and 60% conventional LPG blend).

The BioLPG is approved by the International Sustainability and Carbon Certification scheme, and is created from renewable, ethically sourced feedstocks, such as organic plant materials, vegetable oil and animal fats.

Approximately 60% of the fuel is made up from waste and residues, with the remaining 40% from sustainably sourced vegetable oils.

Customers can choose bulk or cylinder supply.

BioLPG specialist at Calor Matthew Lightburn said: “The Renewable Energy Directive is driving a need for businesses to switch to sustainable energy sources to meet a target of 20% of overall consumption by 2020.

“BioLPG meets all the criteria set out in the Directive, leading the LPG market towards a greener and more sustainable future.

He added that the logistics sector was already familiar with the benefits of LPG, such as reduced CO2, NOx and PM.

“Now, with BioLPG, carbon emissions can be reduced even further,” said Lightburn. “We have chosen to offer the fuel to the warehouse, logistics and transport sectors first as we believe they are best placed to take full advantage of the carbon savings and will benefit most from the reduced environmental impact.”

BioLPG from Calor is produced by Neste at a custom-built factory in Rotterdam.