This annual report, now in its sixth year, offers an in-depth analysis of the UK commercial vehicle and road freight transport industry. We analyse the statistics, the trends and the issues which inform the buying process for commercial vehicles.
While the report is targeted at anyone involved in this crucial sector of the UK economy, suppliers and investors in the sector will find it particularly valuable as it investigates some of the key challenges facing this market.
This extensive research is a qualitative assessment of the state of the UK commercial vehicle industry. It includes analysis of sales trends by weight, axle configuration, and body type; analysis of the existing commercial vehicle parc and trends which may change that profile; and the number of trailers operational in the UK.
We examine why the licensed CV parc is shrinking and the impact of Euro-6 emissions legislation on buying patterns. We also examine the power dynamic within the sector, in terms of fleet composition and financial performance among major operators of commercial vehicles.
What will you learn from this report?
Current composition of the road transport fleet
● Operator licensing statistics
● The breakdown of licence types, and operator fleet sizes
● The profitability of the Motor Transport Top 100
● The fleet size of the Motor Transport Own-Account Top 50
Current composition of the vehicle parc
● Number of vehicles on the road
● Analysed by vehicle type
● Analysed by vehicle make
● Analysed by vehicle model
● Trends in how this has changed over the past five years
● Average vehicle age by year
Insight into commercial vehicle sales
● New vehicle sales analysis
● Sales of vehicle types
● Sales of vehicle models
Insight into commercial vehicle suppliers
● How many main dealers?
● How many service dealers?
● The size of the truck and trailer leasing companies
Insight into operating conditions
● The number and availability of skilled commercial vehicle drivers
● Domestic and international activity in the freight market
● The standard of vehicle maintenance
● The level of vehicle compliance
● Economic conditions of key sectors